Cennet Jönsson - soprano and tenor saxophone, bass clarinet, composer
- born in 1956
- educated at the Music Conservatory in Malmö, Sweden
- resident in Lund, Sweden
- leader of Cennet Jönsson Quartet and Triple Bass Fantasy
- co-leader with Maggi Olin of the nonet Relay Orchestra and with Scott Stroman of the International sextet Stroman/Jönsson Project
- performs in Meloscope, Tolvan Big Band, Double Standards, Mats Holtne Trio , Operajazz and in Cenlistho; a newly formed Scandinavian trio with basist Thommy Andersson and percussionist Lisbeth Diers
- has performed and recorded with Billy Cobham in the group North by Northwest with tours in 15 European countries, and with such greats as Dizzy Gillespie, Michael Brecker, Dave Liebman, Kenny Wheeler, John Taylor, Daniel Humair, Kenny Werner, Dean Brown, Gary Husband, Stan Sulzmann, Palle Mikkelborg, Nikki Iles, Lelo Nika, Niels Henning Örsted-Pedersen, Lena Willemark and many Scandinavian artists.
In 2004 Cennet Jönsson composed Rain Music – a big piece for saxophone, string quartet, brass trio and jazz ensemble - commissioned by the London Philharmonic Orchestra. Here's some other big pieces composed by Cennet:
Tarantula Suite (09') for big band, 1st performance by Tolvan Big Band at Victoriatetern in Malmö, Sweden on April 14 in 2009
Relay (06') for nonet, a collaboration with pianist Maggi Olin
Scanian Suite (99') for jazz quartet and string orchestra, a collaboration with Mats Rondin and the Huaröd Chamber Orchestra
Brass and Rhythm (98') co-lead with drummer and composer Peter Danemo
Ten Pieces (-94) for a ten-piece band, commissioned by the Lund International Jazzfestival
Cennet Jönsson was voted "the best jazz-composer of the year" by the Swedish National Radio in 2007.
Cennet is also one of the leading educators in Sweden. He is specialised in saxophone/ bass clarinet, improvisation and combos and he has had a number of International teaching assignments all over the world in countries like Denmark, Norway, Finland, France, England, Austria, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Israel, Senegal, South Africa, Mozambique, China, Uruguay, USA and Australia. Cennet has been a reprensentative for the IASJ (International Association of Schools of Jazz) for many years. He is currently teaching on a regular basis in the Malmö Conservatory and at the Fridhem Music School in Sweden.
|Tolvan Big Band||Tarantula Suite||2011||Kopasetic|
|Meloscope||Through The Looking Glass||2010||Kopasetic|
|Triple Bass Fantasy||A Secret Sign||2010||Kopasetic|
|Lisbeth Diers||Chime Transform||2009||Spicy Tuna|
|Mats Rondin, Mike Stern, a.o.||Isidor||2009||Prophone|
|Anders Nilsson||AORTA Ensemble||2009||Kopasetic|
|Cennet Jönsson Quartet||Antelope Dance||2008||Kopasetic|
|Olin & Jönsson||Relay||2007||Kopasetic|
|Tolvan Big Band||Code Red||2007||Prophone|
|KOPAfestival 2006, vol1||KOPAcoustic||2007||Kopasetic|
|Double Standards||Volume Two||2006||Kopasetic|
|Double Standards||Volume One||2005||Kopasetic|
|Cennet Jönsson Quartet||Jazzman||2003||Kopasetic|
|Tolvan Big Band||A walk in the Centerpoint||2003||Prophone|
|North by NorthWest||Billy Cobham presents…||2001||Nicolesi Prod.|
|The Crossover Ensemble||Helios Suite||2000||DaCapo|
|Peter Danemo Kapell||Alive||2000||Dragon|
|Jönsson/Karlzon Duo||Between the Noise||1997||dB-Prod.|
|Cennet Jönsson||Ten Pieces||1996||Phono Suecia|
Voices about Cennet Jönsson:
"Cennet is a mature musical thinker, writer and player and he has come up with captivating creative vehicles."
- Michael Brecker
"Cennet makes the soprano saxophone sing. He is one of a few artists worldwide who are elevating the soprano to a higher level than previously."
- David Liebman